In today’s episode we talk about Blake’s journey, his experience with finding remote work and how he ended up in his current role as a growth hacker. We also go into what it means to be a grow hacker and the benefits to working remotely.
You can find out more about Blake on his twitter at theblakemoore.
- [2:13] Blake shares his unique upbringing, being raised in Portugal, his first travel experiences in Asia and where the idea for his first trip as a digital nomad originated from.
- [5:30] Booking his first flight with his friend Zach and taking the first steps to becoming nomadic.
- [8:44] The first few months of Blake’s digital nomad journey and how he went about funding his travels.
- [10:45] Writing his first book about his journey in recruitment and his first experience with passive income
- [15:25] How he approached finding jobs as a remote worker and how he got his first major job
- [19:25] How he used his previous work experience to position himself while learning new skills on the job
- [21:34] His motivations for living a location independent lifestyle
- [24:09] Initial thoughts of Chiang Mai
- [25:13] A short discussion on our favourite locations to live and travel in Asia
- [33:13] How Blake chose his path as a digital nomad and how he ended up as a ‘growth hacker’
- [35:14] Blake’s advice for not undervaluing yourself while working remotely
- [36:33] Blake gives an overview of ‘Growth Hacking’ and his current role
- [40:21] Being thrown in the deep end and how he learned the skills of his profession on the job
- [41:46] Overcoming the fear of going against the gain
- [43:37] Feeling constrained living in London
- [44:40] The quality of life in Chiang Mai
- [46:42] Becoming a digital nomad early in life
- [48:26] Writing for the Huffington Post and sharing his story with the masses
- Blake’s Book – ‘The Recruiter Guide: What the hell is recruitment’
- Blake’s friend Zach (in the second podcast)
- Remote Job Boards – Remoteok.io & We Work Remotely
- Job Wesbites – Indeed.com
- Companies that hire remotely – buffer, Automattic
- Coworking Space in Koh Lanta – KoHub
- Team Chat – Slack
- Short to long term rentals around the world – AirBnB
- The news website – The Huffington Post
- Pieter Levels’ Presentation on 1 Billion Nomads by 2035
- The Chris the Freelancer YouTube Channel